Getting the Right Resume Format is Crucial to Your Job Search Success
If you’re feeling stuck in your current work situation, and want the freedom of being considered for other job opportunities, then getting your resume updated is a great first step.
When updating your resume, you’ll need to think about all the great work you’ve done over the last 3-5 years.
It’s a fact that the best resumes tell the reader what challenges you’ve had to deal with in order to meet your KPIs.
Your new resume should outline the actions you took to overcome the problems you were faced with.
Using concise and professional language will help to convince the reader that you are the person they need for the job.
Most people can do a great job when it’s smooth sailing, but its when a company faces difficult situations is the time when an outstanding employee will be recognised.
So if you’ve helped to solve big problems, or being instrumental in dealing with crisis situations, then this should be highlighted in your new resume.
Upon reading the first 3 lines of your resume, the reader needs to realise that you are someone who achieves results and can be relied upon to deal with the problems that every organisation in your sector experiences.
Avoid the costly mistake of thinking you just need to make a short list of what your responsibilities were. This will cost you more lost opportunities of job interview than you have fingers to count on.
As part of updating your resume, you’ll need to think about how your work has delivered some sort of benefit to both your employer and your customers. For example, your new resume could promote how you:
Improved a system, so the work flow become much more efficient and user friendly
- Initiated a marketing idea that lead to increase sales revenue,
- Dealt with a difficult client or co-worker and sorted conflict,
- Took initiative and used technology or resources to achieve impressive results.
Your new resume should include some specific details on all these ‘gold nuggets‘ that show you as a high calibre candidate.
The way your resume will be written will probably be different from the current resume format you are using now.
The best resumes easily pass through the initial screening process before they get to the hiring manager:
- The Database Search – You need to have the right mix of keywords as once your resume is received by a medium or large organisation, it will be saved directly into the database. From there, a keyword ‘Boolean’ search will be done to pull out all resumes with relevant experience and skill sets.
- The HR Administrator/Recruiter – The first page needs to capture their attention as a member of the HR team will be asked to go through a pile of up to 20 – 30 resumes and decide on the top 10 to be considered for interview.
- The HR Manager – Your work history should be filled with compelling and concise descriptions of your skills and achievements for when the senior HR manager (or general manager) go through the resumes and shortlist 2 or 3 for the hiring manager to view.
The Hiring Manager (who will eventually become your boss) will be the last person who views your resume. This person usually trusts the team who have shortlisted the resumes, so will only skim through your resume before interview time, and will more likely concentrate on getting to know you more as a person, to decide if you are someone who they are likely to like and trust.
At this point, your ability to build rapport with new people, and engage in conversations that develop a sense of trust will be the deciding factor on your job search success.
So the best resumes are written so a junior level HR administrator can understand the content, as well as your future boss. It can be tricky to write for such a wide scope of audience, so if you’re interested in reading more, please view our resume tips.
In order to pass through the database searches, your new resume should contain all the keywords, phrases and industry jargon that appear through the job advertisements that you are most interested in applying for.
This is the first step to actually get your resume read by a real human! From there, it will be a case of how well you describe your scope of work experience, skills and expertise.
Another key difference will be that the bullet points in your work history will be about 2 or 3 lines long. These bullet points will concentrate on describing how you have used the skills, knowledge and experience that are most likely to be required in the job adverts you apply to in the future.
If the HR manager or hiring manager like the look of your resume, here is the process they will follow before you get invited to an interview:
1. They will Google your name, and probably land on your LinkedIn profile, where they will validate that what you say here is what you’ve stated on your resume.
2. They will read the recommendations people have made about you on LinkedIn, and evaluate what has been said and whether the person who said it has any credibility or authority.
3. They will try and find someone in their network who knows about you and the work you do. They will ask for people’s opinions of you, and ask about your track record.
So getting your resume together is a great first step, and we hope that this information has been useful to you. If you are interested to know more about our professional resume writing services, please continue reading, or call us on 1300 979 890 If you would like a FREE Quote, please email through your current resume through to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re looking for professional writers to help with your job applications, then you’ve come to the right place.
Find out More about our Professional Resume Writing Services.
If you want to find out more about our professional resume writing services, or see our Professional resume examples, then we invite you to select what level of career you are at right now:
Once you’ve made your selection, you’ll be offered a range of professional resumes and documents to add to your career portfolio including cover letters, LinkedIn profiles, key selection criteria and can also set you up with your own website.
There’s no doubt that in today’s job market, you’ve got to be well organised with your job search. The candidates who are likely to be shortlisted are the ones with a positive frame of mind, a polished personal brand (ie Social Media profiles), persuasive interview skills and a great professional resume and career portfolio. Take a look through our services menu, and browse the resume examples for our entry, mid, senior and director level resume writing services.
Once you’ve selected which stage or level you fit into right now, you’ll be offered to choose between our standards of professional resume service:
- Gold – for people who have achieved results and developed a great reputation within their industry, this is a premium resume service.
- Silver – for people who have consistently done a good job, and want a resume that reflects their level of skill, knowledge and experience.
91.5% of Our Clients Get to Interview Within 2 weeks
The secret lies in our award winning process, ensuring hundreds of our clients gain the job interview of their dreams…..
Find out about our 5 Step Process for Professional Writing Services
Professional Resumes that are tailor made for our clients are our specialty, however if time is against you, and you need to get an application in, you may want to check out our Professional resume templates.
P.S. Are you interested to know what makes a great new professional resume stand out from the hundreds of other applications? Watch this short video to see why a professional resume can short cut your job search and get you into your ideal job sooner …… I think you’ll soon agree that a great resume is definitely worth the investment !