What is a Cover Letter?
A cover letter is a short one page document that is sent with your resume, when you want to apply for a job that has been advertised.
The purpose of the cover letter is to convince the reader that you are worthy of an interview.
A great cover letter does the following:
- demonstrates you have great written communication skills
- outlines the relevant skills, knowledge and experience you have to offer this particular role that has been advertised.
- shows your interest and strong desire about the role,
- initiates that further communication or action is required to take the next step in the recruitment process.
Employers use cover letters as a way to screen applicants for available jobs and to determine which candidates they would like to interview.
More and more employers are requesting that a cover letter is specifically written to their job advertisement. They want to see how your currents skills, knowledge and experience relate to the criteria they have listed in their job advert.
Employers want to see how you can link your past experiences to the idea that you will become a valuable team member in their company.
Types of Cover Letters
There are 4 types of cover letters to use through out your job:
- Standard Job Application Letters. An application letter is written to apply for a specific job opening. Read more cover letter tips.
- Referral Cover Letters. A referral cover letter is created when someone in your network has advised you about a possible job opportunity, you're cover letter would always mention the name of a person who referred you to a job, and it would always be written to a specific person within the company.
- Expression of Interest Letters - A n expression of interest letter, also known as a Personal Marketing Letter, or a Prospecting letter, inquires about possible job openings at a company.
- Networking Letter. Networking letters request job search advice and assistance. If you've ever gone through an outplacement program, you'll know that they promote these types of cover letters as a powerful way to start creating a bigger network for your job search.
Hopefully this has been a useful page, if you've ever wondered "What is a Cover Letter?".
If you're interested to know more about cover letters, here are some more useful links: