Discover the 3 Industry Trends that Threaten Your Career and Find Out ….
How to Future Proof Your Career
“Think that you’re going to be made redundant in about 6 months’ time, and get yourself prepared for it”
By following the 3 steps outlined in this page, you’ll start to attract some fabulous opportunities that may never have been presented to you otherwise.
Job Security is an area that we are very passionate about. After celebrating 10 years since starting Melbourne Resumes, we have spoken to thousands of hard working individuals about taking the next step in their career, and our one hope is that they make a smart career move that is going to give them more security and freedom in the future.
If you are an employee, there are a few industry trends that we want you to consider when you’re thinking about how you want to direct your career in the next 6-12 months.
The 3 Industry Trends that are Threatening Your Job Security
- Constant Restructuring – due to shareholders wanting fast ROI and putting pressure on the CEO to cut costs.
- The Rise of the Contract Position – Australian employment law makes it more attractive to offer contract positions.
- Outsourced and Off-shored roles – companies are taking advantage of technology to reduce operating costs.
But don’t worry – you can future proof your career.
Luckily, good employees are always in demand, and companies will pay a premium to keep them.
We want you to flip your mind-set of been a ‘servant to an organisation’ – we want you to stop worrying about all the power that the big employer has over you and we want you to start taking matters into your own hands.
Instead of feeling lucky that you still have a job, while everyone else is getting made redundant, we want you to push your attention to proactively carving out a reputation that will have you as the sought after expert or specialist in your industry.
You are Your Own Boss
Start treating yourself as an independent entity, that is available to organisations on a short term basis.
Treat yourself like a business owner. You are the CEO of Yourself.
You represent your company, and you are the only sales person. So from here on in, present and package yourself in a way that is going to start getting noticed. This includes the:
- How you communicate your ideas and innovative thoughts
- How you dress, how you stand with good posture,
- How you relate to others, and how you make them feel
Build Your Business Network
You are in charge of your sales and marketing, so the first thing to do is build your network.
Become more involved with your industry association, and get to know people working in other organisations across your industry.
Focus on Your Personal Brand
Build up your personal brand, start with your online presence. You want to be seen as a prominent thought leader, an emerging leader, or one of the top leaders within your industry.
Update your LinkedIn profile and then build up your network with industry colleagues, leaders and influencers.
3 Tips to Update Your LinkedIn Profile
- Your LinkedIn headline easily tells people what you do. Your LinkedIn head shot should be less than 2 years old, and be congruent with the image that you’ll have when they meet you in a face to face meeting.
- Your LinkedIn summary shows what you love about the work you do, and gives an overview of the results that you’ve helped to generate for the companies and stakeholders you’ve worked with.
- Your LinkedIn experience section should elaborate on the work you’ve done and the key areas that you’ve been responsible for. Insert testimonials from happy clients and stakeholders if you have them!
Start Promoting Your Thoughts and Opinions
Keep up to date with what’s going on in your industry. Get to know what the key topics are, and go the extra mile to find articles and posts on LinkedIn and the web and share them with your network.
Add in a comment on each post or article that you share with your own take or opinion about what’s going on.
After a few months, people will start looking forward to reading your opinions, especially if you are super opinionated, and not afraid of people not agreeing with you. There are always going to be the 1% that like to stir the pot, but move on despite them. Be bold. Get good at articulating your thoughts. Your comments will act like a magnet to attract opportunities, just wait and see!
For High Achievers
If you feel like you’ve got a strong potential to succeed in your career (and we really hope you do, because you should), start creating longer forms of content. This will take more time, but the results will be magnified, as you’ll be seen as one of the top in your industry after just a few months of consistently publishing content.
The underlying principle is that you want to promote your views and thought leadership on the key topics that you want to be known for.
- Start writing articles around the areas that you want to specialise in
- Start creating videos like the one I’ve created above
- Start commenting and giving your opinion on other people’s posts
If you feel like this article is exactly what you should be doing, but you’re wondering if you have time for all this, then we urge you to start putting yourself and your career first.
No one is going to tap you on the back every morning and say “you really need to work at building your career security today”…they will however remind you of all the things that are going to help them achieve their goals. So for the sake of you and your family, please prioritise putting aside 30 – 60 minutes each morning or late evening to work on building a strong personal brand and network.
If you feel you need a rocket put under you to make you do this, then pretend someone has whispered in your ear and secretly revealed that you’re going to be made redundant in about 6 months time. If you trick your brain into thinking that its going to happen, then you’ll be more inclined to start acting with a sense of urgency around this project. Please do this.
By following the 3 steps outlined in this article, you’ll start to attract some fabulous opportunities that may never have been presented to you otherwise.
Ready to Talk?
Get in contact with Katharine or Jessica from our team about how we can help you future proof your career with a strong LinkedIn profile.
Call 1300 979 790 or fill in the form below and we’ll email you within 1 business day.